January 18: Indigenous Cultural Integrity Advisory Committee
Join us on January 18th at 12PM for a detailed overview of the Indigenous Cultural Integrity Advisory Committee and the guidelines.
As we enter into a new year, it is important to take the opportunity to reflect, learn and look forward. This is a practice that we can learn from the original hosts of the land we are on. At the end of last year, on the Winter solstice, and the time of renewal, introduced the establishment of the Indigenous Cultural Integrity Advisory Committee. This committee's objective is to support the respectful growth of Indigenous tourism in Ontario. The committee consists of 14 Knowledge Keepers from across the province and they are equipped with culturally respectful tools and resources to conduct business in a responsible manner.
The goal of the Committee's guidelines is to protect the knowledge, values, beliefs and traditions of all Indigenous Peoples in Ontario while developing tourism initiatives that are in high demand. As the wider tourism industry looks to build partnerships and help develop Indigenous tourism products, these guidelines will help to prevent cultural appropriation and exploitation of Indigenous cultures in tourism.
Join us an learn what challenges this committee will address, what resources are available to your area of business and location within Ontario. We know that consumers are demanding Indigenous tourism activities when travelling to and within Ontario. This work will ensure consumers and suppliers are conducting business ina culturally meaningful and respectful manner.
Kevin Eshkawkogan, President & CEO, Indigenous Tourism Ontario
Indigenous Cultural Integrity Committee Members
- Tyler French, Chippewas Of The Thames
- Jaquie Jamieson, Six Nations of the Grand River
- Beatrice (Bea) Johnson Tarbell, Akwesasne
- Dominic Beaudry, Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory
- Perry McLeod-Shabogesic, Nipissing First Nation
- Neda Debassige, M’Chigeeng First Nation
- Josh Eshkawkogan, Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory
- Quinn Meawasige, Serpent River First Nation
- Sam Manitowabi, Lac Seul First Nation
- Michelle Savoie, Métis Nation of Ontario
- Laurie McLeod-Shabogesic, Nipissing First Nation
- Tim McGregor, Whitefish River First Nation
- David R. Maracle, Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory
- Dorothy French, Chippewas Of The Thames