Good Afternoon TIAO members and stakeholders,
The Federal Budget has just been announced and the document is over 700 pages long and will require careful study; but here is a quick overview of some of the tourism related programs that TIAO has identified and will be seeking further details on.
- Proposing supports that total to $1 billion over three years, starting in 2021-22
- $200 million through the regional development agencies to support major festivals.
Community Festivals and Events
- $200 million through Canadian Heritage to support local festivals, community cultural events, outdoor theatre performances, heritage celebrations, local museums, amateur sport events, and more.
- $100 million to Destination Canada for marketing campaigns to help Canadians and other visitors discover and explore the country.
Support for Tourism Businesses
- $500 million Tourism Relief Fund, administered by the regional development agencies to support investments by local tourism businesses in adapting to the pandemic
- $2.4 million in 2021-22 to the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada to help the Indigenous tourism industry rebuild and recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- Budget 2021 proposes to extend the wage subsidy until September 25, 2021. It also proposes to gradually decrease the subsidy rate, beginning July 4, 2021, in order to ensure an orderly phase-out of the program as vaccinations are completed and the economy reopens.
Canada Recovery Hiring Program
- Canada Recovery Hiring Program, which will run from June to November and will provide $595 million to make it easier for businesses to hire back laid-off workers or to bring on new ones.
Supporting the Recovery of Arts, Culture, Heritage and Sport Sectors
- $300 million over two years, starting in 2021-22, to Canadian Heritage to establish a Recovery Fund for Heritage, Arts, Culture, Heritage and Sport Sectors
More Tourism Related Support
- $101 million over two years, starting in 2022-23, to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, to implement a program for the wine sector
- Supporting Safe Air Travel
- Continuing to Protect Air Travellers
*Note that the $1 billion over three years consists of the Major Festivals, Community Festivals and Events, Discovering Canada and Support for Tourism Businesses.
See the full budget here.
The TIAO team.